Opposing Thoughts

As I continue to pray and think on the opportunity before me, I have conflicting feelings. On one hand I see a small church needing some help that I feel I can contribute to. On the other hand, I see a group of people who want a pastor to do everything for them. The second is not a healthy situation.

New Life is a small country church where God has worked in the lives of a small group of people. The old pastor felt called to plant this church and has done a lot, including a building, etc... Sadly from my recent conversations with him, he has done pretty much everything. Here is a man who works 3rd shift, prepares for a weekly Sunday sermon, ministers to the flock, but is also the facility maintenance person, the Sunday school teacher, and the only mid week Bible study leader. Their are 3 meetings each week and he writes and delivers the messages at each one. No wonder he has burned out and feels he has let the church down. He cannot do everything.

From where I sit right now, I will be going in and preaching on the 17th. My message with be about imitating God (Ephesians 5). They will interview me and then vote on the 24th. I am not sure how I feel about it right now. If the congregation wants someone to do everything the current pastor is doing, I am NOT the right man for them. I have a passion for seeing the church grow and the lost found, but I also have a family who needs me and a day job.

It seems like this small church wants a full time pastor but of course cannot afford one. They say when you take over a church you need to spend a year plus just earning every one's respect. I could not walk into that church today and spend a year doing with the old pastor is doing for a year. I would burn out before long, just like he is. The church would not grow, and things would get worse. It would be a dis-service to the church.

Walking in there and making a lot of changes would also be very difficult, and could cause a LOT of problems. But to be honest, if no one else is willing to teach a Bible study or lead Sunday school some of it would have to end. I would not be asking someone who does not feel comfortable to write their own material. We could easily review some existing curriculum and they could teach it.

I am also the furthest thing from a handy-man as their can be. The old pastor was fixing the furnace this weekend, I would not even know where to start. Someone would have to pick this up or ???

In addition to these a review needs to be done and seen if what could be done to start children's church and potentially a youth group. Families won't stay without these and they could be a big hurdle. From what I have gathered facilities might be a big issue.

I guess I am getting ahead of myself. I have not even preached yet and they have not 'called' me. These things are just on my mind. Keeping my eyes open, so that I can see clearly. I need as much information to make the correct decision when the time comes.

Taking one step at a time and praying for WISDOM!

Blessings to All,

R

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon - Christmas Peace - Luke 2:14 - Littleby Baptist Church - December 20, 2020

Sermon March 20, 2011 - Jeremiah 29:11-14 God has a plan

My Medical Journey