Acoustic Neuroma Brain Tumor - 5 Years Post Op!

May 26, 2010 is a day I will always remember.

I remember driving to Ann Arbor for a 5:30AM check in with Alexis with me in the Durango and my Mother following in the van.

I remember talking to Alexis about not blaming God if things did not turn out as expected.

I remember the nervousness I felt walking into the hospital.

I remember Pastor Maynard coming and praying with us before my surgery.

I remember the pic-line being put in and how painful it was.

A dozen or so hours later I remember the Dr. coming in and asking me to smile. He liked what he saw.

I remember riding on a gurney from one room to another and getting hit with vertigo.

I remember the disappointment finding out I had a spinal fluid leak and would be in the hospital for a few more days.

I remember being afraid that they were going to say there was a mistake and I had to stay as we were leaving the hospital.

I remember the sigh of relief when we finally pulled out of the parking garage.

I remember thinking McDonalds french fries and sweet tea were 'Real Food'.

I remember the excitement of my kids and my dogs when I walked in the door.


I remember all of this so clearly, that it is hard to believe that it has been 5 years.

Going into surgery 5 years ago I did not know if I would be going on disability when I was done.

I did not know if things would ever be normal again.

I did not know how 'bad' it was going to get.

I did not know what the 'new normal' was going to be like.

I did not know how long it would be before I went back to work.

I did not know if I was going to be able to preach God's Word.

I did not know what God had it store.


Was it worth it? Well, I remember sharing our faith with others and repeatedly telling people that God had our back. I have been able to share with many people over the last 5 years about all that God has done. So, was it worth it? Yes it was worth it! It was Absolutely Worth It!


5 years later, I wish I could say things are back to normal but the reality is a 'new normal' has taken its place. If you have read the blog posts over the last year and a half you will know I am having issues. For some reason late in 2013 I started having balance issues and fatigue. I have had several MRI's, CT Scan, sleep study, 2 exhausting rounds of physical therapy, something in the vicinity of 10 different meds, and 14 doctors at 4 hospitals. I have gone all natural, no preservatives, no chocolate, no cheese, no yeast, and no caffeine (murder) for 10 weeks. All to no avail, I am still having issues.

All the Neurologist, Otolaryngologists, and Neuro-Oto (combination of the two) I have seen do not have any more ideas. The new issues are not due to a new tumor or a regrowth. The migraine and seizures meds have not worked. The all natural migraine diet did not work. They have no clue what is causing my current balance issues.

I used to push myself pretty hard riding over 80 miles a week on the bike or walking 2 miles a day. It eventually lead to major stumbles and almost falling a time or two. Today, I tend to take it easy and sadly my waist line is proof of just that. I want to exercise and push myself again, but that is not in the cards today.

I tend to focus on what I can do more than what I cannot. I can drive around town no problem, and have driven 25-30 miles once but it kicked my butt. I am able to work and provide for my family. I struggle with how many activities my 3 kids have, but I am able to go to most of them. I am blessed to still have the energy to preach the Gospel. I do wish I could ride my bike like I used to, but God will restore that if and when it is according to His will.

All I can say is that God is Good! No matter what I have gone through, no matter what I deal with today, and what I will be dealing with in the days to come He has been, is, and will be there for me.


"15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For everything was created by Him, in heaven and on earth, the visible and the invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities— all things have been created through Him and for Him. 17 He is before all things, and by Him all things hold together. 18 He is also the head of the body, the church; He is the beginning,
the firstborn from the dead, so that He might come to have first place in everything. 19 For God was pleased to have all His fullness dwell in Him, 20 and through Him to reconcile everything to Himself
by making peace through the blood of His crosswhether things on earth or things in heaven." - Colossians 1:15-20 HCSB

Jesus is the image of God, He created everything, He holds all things together, and He reconciled our sinful ways with His blood on the cross. Simply put Jesus has our world, our problems, our concerns in His hands. He has all the power He will ever need to take care of everything you are dealing with.

"11 For I know the plans I have for you”—this is the Lord’s declaration—“plans for your welfare, not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. 12 You will call to Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart. 14 I will be found by you”—this is the Lord’s declaration—“and I will restore your fortunes and gather you from all the nations and places where I banished you”—this is the Lord’s declaration. “I will restore you to the place I deported you from.” - Jeremiah 29:11-14 HCSB

If you believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God. If you believe that everything was created through Jesus. If you have Him as your Lord and Savior. You need to take these words to heart.

'For I know the plans I have for you' - God knows what is in store for you.

'plans for your welfare, not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.' - God's plans for your life is for you to be blessed so that you can be a blessing.

'You will call to me.... I will listen to you'...'You will seek Me and find Me' - God is there for you. If you whole heartedly seek Him you WILL find Him!

The God who created everything that ever was, is, and is to come is waiting to hear from you. His plans for you are GOOD plans. If you depend on Him, call out to Him, lay your concerns on Him, He will turn the garbage you are dealt into a blessing! He may not take it away, He may let you live through it, but once you are through it you can see how even the most troubling of things can be used to bless others.


5 years post op is hard to imagine, but it is here. No more MRIs are needed. No more Acoustic Neuroma follow-ups are needed.

Looking forward to all God will do in my life. After all His plans for me are to give me a future and a hope!

God Bless,

Robert

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon - Christmas Peace - Luke 2:14 - Littleby Baptist Church - December 20, 2020

Sermon March 20, 2011 - Jeremiah 29:11-14 God has a plan

My Medical Journey