Crossroads in Life

Crossroads in life come when we least expect them. This time is no exception. After finding out I had a brain tumor, going through a 10.5 hour surgery, spending 13 days in the hospital, and being on the road to recovery, a crossroad appears to be approaching.

Years ago, I was faced with a major crossroad that. It came when I least expected. I was surprised when I felt God guiding me to get my Bachelors in Religion. I was finishing up my Associates Degree and was planning on continuing on at California State University of Fullerton with a degree in Business or Math. I was not aware of the plans God had for me. Sitting at a Men's Retreat out in the wilderness, I heard God tell me to go another path. This was a major crossroad in my life. I could have continued on with what I had planned, or I could listen to God. Following God down that alternate direction has been wonderful. I have met so many people that I would not have known, I have shared His good news with people, and have really seen Him move in my life. Making the choice to follow Him when I was at that crossroads was the right thing to do.

In some ways I see my life at another crossroad. While not as life changing as the example above, but it would still have an impact. Not sure the cause of this one, is it God speaking to me, is it the next step in the journey I am on, or is it a perspective change from what I have experienced so far in 2010? I can't answer that question today, I do not have the answer. All I know is that, if things continue in the direction they are headed I will be standing at an intersection and will need to go one way or the other. A choice will need to be made.

What do you do when you encounter situations like this? I for one, turn to God. The Bible tells us in the Book of Psalms 119:105 "Your word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path." NIV.... In other words, talking to God and reading the Bible is the best way to get clarification of what to do. That does not mean that the Bible will give you specific steps to take for your exact situation, it does mean that spending time with God will help you see the path He has laid out for you. As I get closer to the crossroads, I will be spending more time reading His Word and talking to Him. God has been there for me through some major things this year, I know He will continue to guide me.

Some practical and spiritual steps to take when you find yourself approaching or at a crossroads.

1. Pray - "Pray without ceasing" 1 Thessalonians 5:17 NKJV
2. Check to see if the Bible has specific answers.
3. Check the Bible for general guidance.
4. Determine if either of the paths are in alignment with your life priorities (family, faith, etc...)
5. Make a list of pros and cons.
6. Seek advice from people you trust. You will be surprised by the insight others might have.
7. Pray some more.
8. Talk to your spouse (if you have one), they may have an opinion. Also God tends to use our spouses as confirmation on what He is telling us.
9. Picture what your life will be like with each choice, which one ties with your values and priorities.
10. Make a decision and put one foot in front of the other.

These are some of the things I go through when faced with a crossroad. Prayer is listed twice as it is something that I bathe the whole process in. I pray everyday about it, I pray about specific details and just general thoughts. Don't forget that prayer is more than just talking to God, you also need to quite your mind and listen.

Pray for me as I draw closer to this potential crossroads. I will need Jesus' guidance as I move forward.

A quick update on how I am doing: Feeling pretty good these days. Some days I seem to have all the energy I need and others I do not have enough. Still get minor headaches daily, but I tend to be able to ignore them. I think I have only taken Advil once or twice this week. I am still not having any balance issues and have no signs of a CSF leak. Still have a little sensitivity to the incision area, but only notice it when I use a stiff hair brush or when I get my hair cut. For the most part the tingling in my legs has gotten better, but still flares up at times. This will continue to get better with time and exercise. All in all, my progress has been nothing short of amazing! God has taken better care of me than I have a any right to ask! He is AWESOME!

Thank you for reading and may the Lord touch you today!

In Christ's Precious Name,

Robert

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon - Christmas Peace - Luke 2:14 - Littleby Baptist Church - December 20, 2020

Sermon March 20, 2011 - Jeremiah 29:11-14 God has a plan

My Medical Journey