Turn Your Obstacle into an Achievement

For those new to this blog back in May 2010 I had an Acoustic Neuroma Brain Tumor removed. God was good and I returned to work 8 weeks later and returned to bi-vocational ministry 10 months post op. Everything was going really well. Besides the single sided deafness I had no problems unless I was really tired. I was even riding my exercise bike 70 miles a week and would ride a mountain bike 10 miles a week out on gravel roads. I had no balance issues and was losing weight.

Something happened in the fall of 2013. All of a sudden the issues I had when I was tired were happening all of the time. I was stumbling when I walked down the hall and I would walk into things. I was no longer able to ride my mountain bike and the exercise bike made the balance issues worse. I have been to 4 hospitals, a dozen or so doctors, and have tried who knows how many different medications. I have even had 2 separate attempts at physical therapy designed to improve one’s balance. All to no avail.

As I struggled with all of this I started gaining weight and my blood sugar was going up.

Knowing something needed to change I spent the better part of two years trying to squeeze in a little exercise here and there. Every time I did it would cause major balance issues. 10 mins on the exercise bike would knock me out. 10 mins with the punching bag was really rough. Even 10 mins using my home gym would wear me out due to all of the moving around. I was getting frustrated and my waistline was getting bigger.

I made some diet changes and it was not enough and not seeing the results made it hard to stay with it, my blood sugar was border line and my weight was going up.

Took a family vacation in July of 2015 and decided enough was enough. I was not going to continue this way; I was not going to end up as a diabetic.

I ate healthier and dropped a couple of pounds. Cut out the candy but was eating a lot of fruit, which did not help my blood sugar. I finally decided to research diabetic diets and simply started following a carb exchange, 15 grams equals 1 carb. My target was to eat no more than 9 per day. After two months of ‘mostly’ following this plan I had my blood sugar checked and while it was not where I wanted it, it was moving in the right direction.

I made some more changes to my breakfast and then got rid of carbs during lunch. I ended up eating an average of 6-7 carb exchanges per day. While I don’t know where my blood sugar is today, the weight loss has been wonderful.

In 6 months I have lost 30 lbs. I have tightened my belt 3 notches and even that one is starting to get lose. I have dropped 2 pant sizes and people have noticed I am losing weight.

Now, my point for writing this is not to brag about what I have accomplished but to encourage others.

I have faced some very difficult issues that prevent me from exercising and have hindered my ability to manage my weight. I was wondering if I was going to stay this heavy for the rest of my life and if I really had any options. After all the doctors could not help me and several have told me they have no idea what is causing my issues and they have nothing for me.

When you hit obstacles it is very easy to give up. I did for a while and then I remembered a few things.

“For I know the plans I have for you’ this is the Lord’s declaration ‘plans for your welfare, not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.” - Jeremiah 29:11

I know that God’s plan for me is not for me to give up. He does not want me to suffer. Instead God wants Good things in my life! He wants me to have a future where I am serving Him! He wants me to have a future to be with my family!

So God wants us to have a future and a hope, but what if we just don’t have the strength to do it on our own?

“29 He gives strength to the weary and strengthens the powerless. 30 Youths may faint and grow weary, and young men stumble and fall, 31 but those who trust in the Lord will renew their strength; they will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary; they will walk and not faint.” – Isaiah 40:29-31

God does not expect us to do everything on our own. Again, God does NOT expect us to do everything on our own. He knows we cannot do it all. He knows we need His help.

Remembering these things helped me to remember to depend on God in ALL things. I am not doing this all on my own, I just needed to remember that He is in control not me. Remember this has helped me to get things moving in the right direction again.

Does He make it super easy? Absolutely Not! I have to work at it every day. God did help me overcome my obstacle and He helps me to achieve what is needed.

Do you have an obstacle that you need to climb? Do you have something that is holding you back? Have you given up?

Remember that God loves you! Yes, He loves you so much that He wants good things for you. He wants you to fulfill your purpose. He wants you to overcome your obstacle and He will give you the strength you need to achieve it.

No matter what your obstacle is, God is bigger.

“Our Lord is great, vast in power; His understanding is infinite” – Psalm 147:5

God is bigger and more powerful than your obstacle. His understanding is unlimited so He knows exactly what you need to overcome.

Turn to Jesus, and the power that raised Him from the dead will reside in you. If it can raise Jesus from the dead, it can take care of you.


Jesus will help you turn your obstacle into an achievement. 



Thank you for reading and God Bless!

Robert

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon - Christmas Peace - Luke 2:14 - Littleby Baptist Church - December 20, 2020

Sermon March 20, 2011 - Jeremiah 29:11-14 God has a plan

My Medical Journey