Acoustic Neuroma - Six Years Post Op

“Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord and whose trust is the Lord” – Jeremiah 17:7 HCSB

Six years ago today I was laying on an operating table so the doctors could cut into my skull and remove that pesky Acoustic Neuroma brain tumor.

I knew my life would change, but had no idea what that change would look like. While I do have lingering issues I know that God has been good to me and I continue to trust in Him.

After the removal of their tumors, some have facial paralysis, debilitating headaches, and constant vertigo. I have an eye that waters now and again, occasional minor headaches, and balance issues.

In 2013, 3 years post OP, I developed some issues that most likely stem from my tumor removal but the doctors cannot figure out the exact cause. I had to stop exercising, my driving range is limited, and I do get tired easier than I used to.

I visited 4 hospitals, 8 doctors, 2 physical therapist, and tried a dozen or so different medications. I went on a full blown migraine diet, going without coffee was MURDER! I tried everything they suggested with physical therapy that royally kicked my butt with no success.

I would like to say that things are better, but the reality is that I have learned to adapt to my new normal. There has been no change in the issues, nothing has gotten better, but nothing has gotten worse. I did try 2 different medications this year that I found by researching balance issues. They only made things worse, so they did not last long.

With the lack of exercise I did gain a fair amount of weight. Through watching what I eat I have dropped 51 pounds and will hit my target weight later this year. I now weigh less than I have in years. I can squeeze in a 20 minute exercise bike ride every week or two without it completely knocking me down. The trick is I have to keep my eyes closed, so no hopping on my bike and riding around town anymore. I have learned to adapt to my new normal.

God continues to give me the strength to take care of my family, work my full time job, and pastor a church. I pray that He continues to open doors so that I may serve Him all the days of my life.

“God – He clothes me with strength and makes my way perfect.” - Psalms 18:32 HCSB

God is leading the way and I am enjoying the ride.

It is hard to believe that it has been six years. It is part of who I am, but it does not define me.

My advice to all is to Trust in God. If Jesus is your savior, He will take care of you. You will go through trials and tribulation, but He will give you the strength you need and He will guide you along the path you are to walk. It won’t be a bed of roses but Jesus will be with you.

God Bless,

Robert

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon - Christmas Peace - Luke 2:14 - Littleby Baptist Church - December 20, 2020

Sermon Notes - Revelation 3:7-13 - Letter to Philadelphia - Littleby Baptist Church - June 27, 2021

Sermon March 20, 2011 - Jeremiah 29:11-14 God has a plan